Article

Subject: Article
From: Jason V. Morgan (Jason.V.Morgan@m.cc.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 21:49:47 EEST

Hello there Majik developers
   I'm sorry if that first message was a bit long.  I am going through
with the article.  Reactions to this model are rather mixed.  Some see it
as freeing the source and "selling the content," which I think is fine
(although you guys aren't actually selling content).  Personally, I only
see a problem when a client is so dependent on a server that no
competition can actually exist for providing the functionality.  That is,
when someone has complete control over something even though their client
is considered "open source."
   A set of major examples comes from all the clients/servers that
implement standard protocols.  http clients and servers are often made by
different companies yet they all work together and they make it possible
to choose the features one needs.
   Anyway, I have no intentions of bashing Majik.  I think it looks like a
very fun project and I respect your coding talents.  But I did want to
refer to it and some of the issues that this model brings up.  For
example, what happens when you throw distributed object models such as
CORBA into the picture.  What about the problems ofa poorly documented
protocol?  Can a product be deemed a true open source product even if the
license has a clause hidden in it that prevents the writing of servers?
   I just want to research these issues and bring them up.  And I want
your own thoughts on them too.  Thank you very much.
--Jason V. Morgan