Re: 3d Card stuff

Subject: Re: 3d Card stuff
From: Jari P Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 17:14:56 EET

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Jarom wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Can ya tell me if you are ever gonna release Voodoo 2 support with
> Majik?  Is it a problem with the 3d libraries you use or somethin else?

The problem is that 3dfx cannot provide "real" OpenGL support for
older Voodoos. There exists so-called "minigl" drivers that support
only a subset of OpenGL commands to run few specific games. Majik needs
full OpenGL implementation.

However, under Linux the Mesa library (a free OpenGL implementation)
supports the Glide API so by using it you could take advantage from older
Voodoos (if you have Linux, that is).

For more information you could check out an article at opengl.org,
http://www.opengl.org/Products/DriverTypes.html that explains the
situation with more detail.

++dazzt

---
Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi | Coral
programming, music, keyboards, web, demos,  b5 | Nah-kolor
dazzt @ Majik3D RPG     https://majik3d-legacy.org | Majik