Re: majik/3d

Subject: Re: majik/3d
From: Jari P Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 22:25:41 EET

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Greg Brubaker wrote:

> My problem is... As much as i try, I can not properly picture a solution of
> Implementing 3d graphics.  I was hoping to create my own sort of simple
> solution to start with so that i could have a better understanding of it.
> My general problems is in the theory and where to start with.  I hear that
> quake and heretic have released their scource code...  but i want to start
> small... if you know of a place to redirect my inquerys or can help me on
> the general THEORY of it all then i would be greatly helped.  I am
> interested in all possibilities even non-polygon methods...  I kind of
> wanted to Create a world ( matrix of colors) and then knowing my position of
> screen, trace each pixel untill it hits a color and then draw that to
> screen.  only as i thought about it i only found myself with a head ache.

If you are new to (realtime) 3D graphics I'd recommend learning OpenGL,
which is quite straightforward to learn, with GLUT. GLUT is a portable
library that takes care of all system-dependent things (creating a window
etc) so you don't need to bother yourself.

The OpenGL programming guide -book is freely available from
http://heron.cc.ukans.edu/ebt-bin/nph-dweb/dynaweb/SGI_Developer/OpenGL_PG/
and is fairly good introduction to OpenGL.

Of course, if you are more into raytracing etc there is much material
available in many computer graphics books.

++dazzt

---
Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi | Coral
programming, music, keyboards, web, demos,  b5 | Nah-kolor
dazzt @ Majik3D RPG     https://majik3d-legacy.org | Majik