Re: RPG

Subject: Re: RPG
From: Jari P Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 21:23:16 EET

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Jeff Marr wrote:

> Hey looks like that RPG is pretty cool.  How the hell does it look so neat
> but is so small in size.  Anyway I just had a few more questions.  Is it

We will be mostly relying in algorithmically generated graphics (for
terrain, sky and such) so there isn't huge amount of 3d models or textures
(yet ;).

> running off of a 3D card because it is pretty 3d looking.  In windows 98 it

Naturally. By using hardware acceleration and OpenGL we are able to speed
up the development and achieve higher image quality and smoother gameplay.
3D cards are so common nowadays that there is no point of not using one.

> crashes alot and I really don't know how to move around.  Very very slow
> too.  How is it coming.  Are you guys even still working on the game.  How
> did the game come about.  I am very interested in this game.

The game looks much slower than it actually is because the moving code
hasn't been properly implemented yet. This will be fixed on future
releases. We hope to get version 0.4.0 out very soon.

Majik has been in development for few years now in various forms, and we
have no reason to stop developing it. You can read our history from our
website, www.majik3d.org/history.html if you're interested.

---
| Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi : coral   -.
| programming            music          graphics | dolphin   :
| art                  keyboards             web | nah-kolor |
| Babylon5-inspired 'shadow function'        0 <= t <= 4*pi/3
:  x(t) =   (sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3sin 8t) cos (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)
.  y(t) = +-(sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3cos 8t) sin (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)