Re: Problems with Missing Files

Subject: Re: Problems with Missing Files
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 11:32:03 EET

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Chris Jacobson wrote:

> I have recently ported Majik3D client (Milestone 3) to MacOS (well,
> mostly ported - it boots, connects, and allows me to enter name to log
> in).

Amazing! I thought porting it to MacOS would be next to impossible. Great!

> However, after logging in, it attempts to load a file with ssgLoadAC
> (called from Object::init).  The file does not exist, so ssgLoadAC
> returns NULL instead of a valid pointer.  This pointer is passed to
> ssgBranch::addKid (called at Object.cpp:125).  At ssgBranch.cxx:40, the
> ssgEntity::addParent method is invoked on the object pointer that is NULL.

Try to debug what file and where it is trying to find it. Usually this
happens when you don't have gfx and data directories in the directory
where you execute the binary. The code for loading files is not that
good yet.

> Anyways, to make a long story short, the missing files cause the client
> to crash.  Would I be better off working with the snapshot, or should M3
> work?

Try a new 0.3.1 source code from the FTP site. It shouldn't fix the
problem, but would be good to use a recent copy to do the porting. :)

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3d.org https://majik3d-legacy.org