Re: weird bug :)

Subject: Re: weird bug :)
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 12:00:08 EEST

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Mathius wrote:

>      Just thought I should notify you of this (weird?) bug I've
> encountered in majik3d. I'm using a voodoo2 with all glide drivers and
> Mesa installed (linux slackware 2.2.12), all other 3D games agree with
> it perfectly. I ran Majik3D and all seemed to be going well in a
> software window (low fps mind you (which is to be expected)), the window
> displayed, prompting me to enter a character name. Naturally, I decided
> I wanted to run majik3d fullscreen and set the MESA_GLX_FX env. var. to
> do so.

Majik must be in MESA_GLX_FX fullscreen mode in order to being able to
use 3dfx hardware acceleration, with exception of those Banshees and
Voodoo 3's. Read README.linux to get more information how to do so, if
you didn't get it in the hardware accelerated mode.

> Upon running Majik I was presented with nothing more than a menu
> and a cursor, but i noticed that mouse movement was erratic. I entered a
> character name and hit enter and mouse movement became normal.

> From this I have gathered that the objects are there, just not being
> displayed.

So you do not see the landscape? Get new -current version or just hit
'4' or '6' once.

> I couldn't find this bug listed anywhere and decided to write in. I'm
> not much of a C coder but I'm going to work on hacking this thing apart
> to make it go ;) Hope this helps the project a bit, and thanks for your
> time.

Not many take the source and fix the problems they're having, no matter
how much they talk about it being the best part of the whole Open Source
movement.

> P.S.  If you guys have the time at all I'd appreciate a mail back
> telling me if you know how to fix this bug? Thanks again :)

We always have time to send replies.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi