[Fwd: [plib-announce] ANNOUNCE: PLIB 1.0.12]

Subject: [Fwd: [plib-announce] ANNOUNCE: PLIB 1.0.12]
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 20:15:09 EEST

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi

attached mail follows:

Tommi Leino wrote: > For software only rendering on slow machines it must be faster as > it doesn't need to calculate all shading, texturing, filling and > lighting things etc. Majik is not meant to be graphically impressive, > it is only a side effect, well almost. I just spent the time to visit your web site. I think this is *exactly* the kind of thing that PLIB is intended to do - it should fit your needs very well. SSG will prove a much more suitable toolkit than raw Mesa - giving you more time to look at higher level problems, leaving the issues of drawing the scene and managing the polygons to SSG. One thing you might want to think about is collision detection. Since SSG can tell you the height and 'material' of the polygon that you (or someone else) are standing on - or trying to walk into, it becomes very easy to turn an essentially 2D engine into a 3D one. You position the character in 2D - and ask SSG to tell you the elevation of the ground at that point. With a little care, this allows the character to climb hills - cross bridges - swim, etc. I strongly suggest that you download my game: Tux - A Quest for Herring. http://www.woodsoup.org/projs/tux_aqfh This does many of the things you need (so long as you don't mind looking like a Penguin!)...and it would be quite easy to convert it to do exactly what you want. The code for Tux is only about 7,000 lines - and a lot of that is stuff you won't need. -- Steve Baker (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail) Raytheon Systems Inc. (817)619-2466 (Fax) Work: sjbaker@hti.com http://www.hti.com Home: sjbaker1@airmail.net http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1