Re: About stat system..

Subject: Re: About stat system..
From: McDuff (mcduff@iname.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 13:26:46 EET

>> Meep. Mathematical intelligence is totally separated from willpower,
>> perception and intuition, in fact it is often quite the opposite. I
>> haven't met, and do not know of, a single able philosopher or religious
>> fanatic who was mathematically talented.
>
>Pythagoras for one there are numerouse others if you want me to research
>it. This has nothing to do with the stat system but I thought i would
>point it out.
>
>Mathimatics and phylosophy where commenly studied together and
>considered the same thing in less modern times. Aristotle Plato and
>Socrates was very mathimaticaly inclined. Thomas Jefferson the inventor
>of modern democracy and its phylosopy was an apt architect. The list
>goes on and on.

I'm going to to Durham University for my degree, to study Applied Maths and
Philosophy.  Maths is considered the purest form of philosophy.  I'm also a
religious fanatic.  So, know you know one personally Yorkaturr!  I'm
actually quite good at both as well!

It all depends on perception - most "pure" mathematicians are brilliant at
conceptualising abstract forms, but cannot express themselves without using
"theta is equal to the integral of (xe^x-y^y)^1/2" type language which very
few people understand.  Feynman is a brilliant quantum physicist, mainly
because he can see how the world works in a different way to everyone else -
surely a reasonable definition of philosophy?

What a subject for my first post back!

McDuff