Re: magic and magical arts

Subject: Re: magic and magical arts
From: Ari Miettinen (emiettin@hytti.uku.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 17:02:22 EEST

Replying to myself...
>>On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Ari Miettinen wrote:
>>
>>> Day-night pattern is:
>>>   ...ooo
>>>
>>> Eternal-night pattern is:
>>>
>>> Now a mage changes the three 'o's into . with a spell. Who says it requires
>>> energy to upkeep it? The act of changing that pattern requires energy, but
>>> maintenance should not necessarily do so.
>>
>>hmm perhaps, but why do we have the sun then? I thought day was
>>something which is caused by sunlight and that light is powered
>>by the sun. (I guess sun of majik has same purpose as our sun)
>Maybe Eternal Night simply stops the sun from rising again.
This would mean that since the world of Majik is a round one,
Eternal Night spell would in fact be Stop the Sun so, that it
won't rise at this location again. Ie: It would shine at the other
side of the ball eternally or until someone makes it move again
and would not shine on the casting side. .. not good for either side
in the long run. .. in fact, it sounds so big thingy that i am afraid
that we are pretty much unable to simulate it. (drought on one side,
freezing on the other side..)

This brings me to another point:
Many magical effects will have major effect on a 3D environment. Are
there any magical effects in existence yet? I hope the coders have
considered these things, so we will have a functional 3D environment
with magic one day.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
	for they are subtle and quick to anger.