RE: Spell symbols

Subject: RE: Spell symbols
From: Otso Makinen (otso@hybrid.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 16:24:50 EEST

> >If I remember right, the spells in Majik4 were all hand
> >coded and this is not a way for coding hundreds of
> >different spells. We need an universal system which, given
> >the symbols, automagically generates the corresponding
> >spell effect. There should of course exist a possibility
> >to add hand made varieties.
>
> It just occurred to me that the truename system I coded did
> work like the new system as well, and in fact the entire
> spellsystem did :). Of course the spells were individually
> coded, there has to be some way of telling the server what
> the spell effects are, and the spells are all different. But
> the casting stuff, deriving the specific spell from the
> casting process, was always done automatically. Look at the
> sources :).

Yes, but what I meant was we need a system that also generates the actual
effect. This would make the magic system have a realistic base where the
code works just like the magic in Majik and would eliminate the need for
hundreds of pre-defined spells, which would anyway be almost impossible to
manage.

- Harum