SI(metric system) convertion appendix

Subject: SI(metric system) convertion appendix
From: hook (hook@u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 13:00:07 EEST

I have prepared the following text as an appendix for the world book. My
experiences within the public school system of the United States has
shown me that most americans do not know the SI (metric) system of
measurement and as such need help. As one of the few american designers
I have come up with this little fix so that american Majik users who
read the world book can do the conversions themselves without having to
get an encyclopedia.

Joshua
hook@u.washington.edu

SI (metric system) units and conversion factors

	The following text is for my fellow Americans who, unlike the rest of the
world, failed to adapt the metric system (SI). Majik is intended to be used
internationally and as such uses international standards. If you find this unfair I
would like to remind you that these same standards were used in the design of the
computer you are using right now, such as hertz(Hz), volts(V) and ohms used in its
circuitry, all of which are derived from SI (metric system) units. I suggest you
gain a working knowledge of them. Computer designers are not the only ones who use
SI NASA rocket scientists and Biochemists do too.

Joshua Corning -Majik world designer
hook@u.washington.edu

Length

1 centimeter(cm)	=  0.39 inches(in)
1 meter(m)		= 39.40 inches(in) or 3.2833 feet(ft)
1 kilometer(km)		=  0.62 miles(mi)
1 light-year		=  9460000000000000 meters(m)

Weight/mass*

1 gram (g)		= 0.04 ounces(oz)
1 kilogram (kg)		= 2.20 pounds(lb)

Speed

1 km/h			= 0.621 mi/h
1 warp**		= 299792458 meters per second

Temperature

0 degrees Celsius	= 32 degrees Fahrenheit
0 degrees Kelvin***	= -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit

In order to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit you must use the following equation:

F = (C * 9/5) + 32

Where "F" is degrees Fahrenheit and "C" is degrees Celsius.

*pounds(lbs) are a measure of weight and grams are a measure of mass this is a
subtle difference but an important one. While a person standing on earth might
weigh 160 lb and have a mass of 73 kilograms, that same person standing on mars
would weigh 61 lb but still have the same mass of 73 kilograms. It is assumed
that 1 lb on Majik is 1 lb on Earth.

**The speed of light in a vacuum

*** Zero degrees Kelvin is the lowest temperature that is physically possible. It
is the temperature at which atoms stop moving.