Re: User interface proposal

Subject: Re: User interface proposal
From: Atte Koivula (yorka@dlc.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 09:35:23 EEST

>the first one naturally is, how are we going to handle
>fighting?
>does the battle commence whenever two aggro entities come
>across each other inside certain radius, or do you have to
>keep hitting the mouse button so that you\'ll hit the
>monster or what?

Personally I detest \"battle modes\". As we have sometimes
discussed, battle should be considered on a hit-by-hit basis
with added pseudo-automatic features such as your character
dodging automatically and by dodging taking steps to the
sides or backwards etc so that you\'d have to watch what your
character is doing, the same could apply to your character
advancing towards your enemy and rushing into him if he is
aggressive. So, in general, the characters movements
should/could be partially controlled by the computer while
the character himself would decide when to attack or flee
and how. There should be a dodge/parry -adjuster, having
more dodge vs parry would move your character around a lot
and having more parry would keep him static and he would try
to fend off incoming blows.

Generally, making the battlesystem completely automatic
would make it extremely boring, and it would be pretty
difficult to come up with a versatile automatic battlesystem
that would look and feel right. On the other hand, making it
completely manual would make it extremely hard and
exploitable, it would turn into a chasing performance, but
then again, chasing performances should be possible
considering the characters have only one single life. A fast
pair of legs should be an advantage.

Also, as Majik\'s battlesystem strives to be realistic, there
must be combat types (\"barbarian bashing\", \"tiger way\",
\"brawler\'s special\", \"elven scimitar slashing\" etc), special
attacks (\"flying kick\", \"full circle slash\", \"overhead bash\"
etc), like in Majik4, and different types of attack/defence
patterns that will make your character customizable
(\"berserk\", \"aggressive\", \"careful\", \"evasive\", \"fleeing\").
This, I think, is the most important feature of the battle
system. I have a pretty good picture of all this in my head
(as I have thought about the battle system a LOT having
coded this stuff into Majik4) and I will come up with
more specific documentation once it is required.

Cheers,

_/_
/Atte \"Yorkaturr\" Koivula <yorkaturr@majik.netti.fi>
 Tämä viesti on lähetetty Saunalahden Serverin Webmailista
 osoitteesta: www.saunalahti.fi