Re: User interface proposal

Subject: Re: User interface proposal
From: Juha Jantunen (talgor@nergal.org)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 00:35:10 EEST

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:32:23 +0300 (EET DST) Jari P Saukkonen <jsaukkon@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>Me (Dazzt), Harum and Namhas had a small gathering this evening,
>discussing the user interface.
>Controlling your character requires both using your keyboard (movement)
>and your mouse (head). This mouse-keyboard style seems to be quite
>standard in first-person games today, allowing fast turns and glancing etc
>which are impossible to do with plain keyboard.

Sounds good.. (even though I don't play 1st person games of today)

>While your character is standing still, moving the mouse turns the head.
>If you try to turn your head sideways more than the neck would allow, the
>character will turn. If you are moving forwards, turning character's head
>also turns his body, maybe with little delay so you can glance to one side
>or another while running straight forward.

I'd prefer that that you can turn your head just the same in moving and staying still, and that there would be a keyboard button for turning the body to the direction the character's head is facing. Otherwise at least I will never be able to look around while moving....

>I'd like to have comments on this, just to know what do you think
>of it.

There's mine...

And yes, I know, I haven't posted anything about spells in here for a while, but that's mostly because I was suddendly called away for a week and I've been quite unable to work on anything... I'll mail some kind of small spell-list here (with brief descriptions) in the near future so you can all bash it together...

--
.sig in exile