Race Designing

Subject: Race Designing
From: Beregar (beregar@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 17:14:49 EEST

Thought I'd mail few things about race designing. You should give me comments, especially you  Namhas.

I recommend that when you design races and monsters you use same structure as I did if that race is somehow special or unique. I feel that title structure (sorry, but I don't know better word:) which namhas gave to us lacks something though this is basically same:

1. Introduction
2. Appearance
3. History
4. Culture
5. Religion
6. Language
7. <homeland>
8. Roleplaying

Religion and language both should have their own titles instead of placing them as
subtitles under culture - Religion is more important in Majik than in most other games and it would be easier for those people who make descs for gods and need more de tailed religious information to find it from here. Sub-titles are anyway optional and one could choose not to descripe religious habits of race under culture title which is bad because there must be always some explanation about how
race feels toward re
ligion and gods, even if it doesn't have own religion.

Every intelligent race should have language which it uses in communication between members of own race or other races. They don't need own languagebut they should use at least some language. Also telepathy is considered as language and should be mentioned here.

Under <homeland> title should be short description about region where race lives, for example I took same description for Ghalimcar desert as in"regions in short". From here should be link to detailed file which explains whatkind of plants, animals and resources area has, how many people there live, where, descs for their cities etc. Also area map would be nice.

You may have noticed that all my files lack history part currently but there is simple reason for this. We only have decided that current races are decendants of "first races" which arrived to this world when two " flying rooms" crashed in Majik (pro bably gods had something to do with this). We don't yet have descs for how our current races developed from these races and how long did it take.
Though I have placed few references to historical happenings when I have made these files (for example reason for existance of Vorack race and creation of Ghalimcar desert).

When you descripe less detailed common monster races (player races must be always as detailed as they can). I suggest that you use title structure which namhas suggested:

*Appearance

*History*

*Philosophies

*Society*

*Quick role-playing tips*

*Game statistics*

We probably still have to add that *game statistics* section in my title suggestions and maybe that philosophies thinggie too (though I feel it could be in same place as roleplaying. I use also often many subtitles especially under culture title. I think with a few changes it is suitable for gods too.

Then I have a one question. Will this all information be available for players too? or
should we make different "summary" for them which doesn't reveal all things? I have
currently made my own race designing for those who build the world, at least with
some races.

- Beregar (Beregar@majik.netti.fi)