Re: a MUST read...

Subject: Re: a MUST read...
From: T. Tikka (ttikka@icon.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 12:33:30 EET

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Atte Koivula wrote:

> Dmitri Medvedev wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I found this article that is a MUST read!
> > It is an article that has very good points about Online RPGs.
> >
> > http://www.best.com/~tenarius/mudwimping.html
> >
> > I have not seen a massive RPG not fall victim to this terrible fate.
> > A recent victim: EVERQUEST
>
> The problem with this article is that it does not have anything to do
> with Majik or any type of real role-playing, as Majik is not dependant
> on the usual "players killing monsters"-concept that you find in MUDs
> and/or the sole purpose of players advancing their stats/skills. Majik
> is not "built to serve" anyway so that's that.

I agree with Yorkaturr and go even further. The team that designs majik is
so very much past that kind of idiotic behaviour. Majik does not even have
the elements that would make that kind of "mud implosion" possible. Majik
is and always will be a strict-line HC roleplaying game. The mission of
majik is not to "serve the players" but to : tell a damn good story. That
is what roleplaying is all about. Majik is world where people roleplay,
stories are born, history is written down. Heroic deeds and heroic deaths
are seen, songs are written, and victory is felt after glorious battles.

I have even demonstrated Everquest (when it was very new) in Finnish
national television :) - and my opinion is that Everquest is lost in it's
way. It does not have the right kind of ideas even to start with. Majik is
superior.

.Mandor