Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Loribak Island

Message 617

Date: 2002-02-07 04:03:10

There has been some disagreement on what Loribak Island's terrain is. Some have said it is a plains region, others say salt-marsh, or some sort of flood-plain... If anyone knows what it is please post here, or if it is undecided, I would suggest opening it to discussion here.

Message 726

Date: 2002-02-16 14:55:49
In-Reply-To: 617

Well, does anyone have any plans for this region then? If I had to chose, I'd actually define that area as woody marsh meaning it would have a lot of standing water, mysterious lights and dark, twisted marsh woods. That would actually fit even better for Felmur than the wood region which I planned.

So, does anyone has any plans for the Loribak isle? If not, I could actually alter Felmur a bit and place them on a marshland. That way I need not abandon my quest project since I have put quite much thought to it already.

Darshan said that Sweatshop is the key designer for Nemen region so do you have anything against this, Sweatshop? If it is ok, I'm going to write about my plans to the thread which I started.

- Beregar

Message 717

Date: 2002-02-14 21:45:34

And as far as the terrain type itself goes - of those terrain alternatives I'd prefer marsh.

Message 708

Date: 2002-02-13 15:25:18

Well, If I have anything to say, it will be plains and both deciduous and deep deciduous forest. There will be small mountainous areas too. This is because my felmur are going to live in the isle as their desc says (I hope it says so :) and I need such terrain. Actually, I'd like to have a mountain peak surrounded with large forest area, some beach and some other stuff.

- Beregar

Message 714

Date: 2002-02-14 20:11:55
In-Reply-To: 708

A mountain peak? The isle is way too small for a mountain. The highest point of Loribak is around 90-95 meters in the current heightmap.

Hook/Sweatshop/somebody had originally envisioned Loribak as a marsh or swamp isle. When I made the heightmap, I designed it so that most of the isle is very low and flat (for the swamp) with some elevation (possibly for forest) in the NE end. The terrains can of course be changed; but like I said, a mountain peak isn't conceivable.

Message 711

Date: 2002-02-14 07:53:14
In-Reply-To: 708

I think your geography is slightly mixed up. Loribak is the tiny isle NE of Nemen.

Message 713

Date: 2002-02-14 18:50:49
In-Reply-To: 711

If you meant me, then no, as I meant the isle NE of Nemen and if it is Loribak isle, then it's the right isle :)

- Beregar

Message 715

Date: 2002-02-14 21:20:51
In-Reply-To: 714

drshn is right on this....before cataclysm it was flat lowlands. In current map (post catatclysm) it has some new color code in north east protion of it...There has been some disagreement as to what that new color means. Either burnt areas or the land sunk to become salt water fens. I say we just make them marshes becouse ppl have already designed stuff for marshes and nemen. but anyway the island is to small for a mountian.

Message 716

Date: 2002-02-14 21:43:20
In-Reply-To: 715

That's true. The region's contents have already been designed in a general consensus. Beregar, did you ever tell us anything about the felmur project's relation to Nemen? If you didn't, you can only blame yourself for not participating in the design process; I understand that the folks are quite far in the design, and I see no reason to make concessions to posthumously introduced conflicting descriptions.

(OTOH, if you did present the idea to us before, it's
"our" fault and I apologize.)

Message 720

Date: 2002-02-15 15:56:05
In-Reply-To: 716

Well, When I started designing Felmur I precisely noted (otoh only on majik channel) that I need a hilly forest area for them. I planned to add them to Loribak isle (and I wanted to change name of the isle but people wanted to keep the name so I agreed) and add a small node area with a "scrying pool".

I wanted this "tribe" of Felmur located near Nemen since I planned it as a quest area. Loribak isle would be a perfect place for it, since it is a bit away from Nemen but not too far and it is north enough to have deciduous forest (see nearby northen areas) unlike the sw isle. I also planned a few ruins to the area and obviously a Felmur settlement around the pool.

Time wise it was a little after naming of the Nemen isles but before any terrain conversation that I had heard of. Besides, terrain certainly is easily changeable, you just need to fill the area with paint bucket. I'm not too concerned with lack of the mountain peak or mountaneous area since it is not very essential, but I'd like to see at least a small patch of deciduous forest, even better if it is surrounded by scorched forest (only the areas under Felmur's and node's influence would remain "green").

If you, however, have other plans for the isle, I can always scrap the pool "quest" idea and locate Felmur somewhere else, not a big deal, really.

- Beregar

Message 718

Date: 2002-02-15 05:10:24
In-Reply-To: 717

I agree on the marsh... It can be intrestingly designed.

Message 783

Date: 2002-02-18 21:58:58
In-Reply-To: 720

What is a node and "scrying pool"? Are they discussed in the worldbook?

Message 728

Date: 2002-02-16 17:03:42
In-Reply-To: 726

I actually think that might make it more interesting, rather than a few grasses and standing pools of water. Also, a woodland marsh would leave room for all the currently designed marsh grasses and trees, if only near the coatline. Perhaps an inland wooded swamp with patchy outlying grassy marshes would be the best compromise?

Message 729

Date: 2002-02-16 17:28:27
In-Reply-To: 728

fine with me

Message 756

Date: 2002-02-17 19:44:20
In-Reply-To: 728

Sounds interesting.. I agree.

How hard it is to model plants and other stuff to environment like that? And how much water there should be? Is it (or some parts of it) going to be a mangrove type area where you have to use a canoe to travel? That would be a nice place to visit. Alligator-like predators and all that.

Message 767

Date: 2002-02-17 22:24:27
In-Reply-To: 756

Well, I suppose there could be some sort of marsh river running through the area which would make it mangrove type. I actually planned a lot small standing pools of water and a lot fallen and dead trees with quite dense foliage and giant insetcts too! :)

- Beregar

Message 769

Date: 2002-02-17 22:45:37
In-Reply-To: 767

Well, the river could make it more varying after all. But the basic terrain sounds good to me. Just make it tropical swamp-like. ;)

Message 788

Date: 2002-02-18 22:38:25
In-Reply-To: 769

The island is to small for a river, it would just have tide marshes, (if we implement tides) where at high tide in areas you'll have to use boat to exlore, and at low tide the mud would make it impassable. There could be areas where its nearly impassable because of mud, and this area would be great difficulty to exlore. But a true river needs an origon and source for water, you can have cannals that have deaper water all the time that boat travil, but a real moving water river wouldn't exist on such a small island.

Message 813

Date: 2002-02-19 17:38:43
In-Reply-To: 783

see nodes, scrying and far spellcasting. Not anything in them currently :)

Message 791

Date: 2002-02-18 23:30:08
In-Reply-To: 788

Hmm, true. But this tide system solves it. As you said, just put there an outlet for waters from tides and we have a river-like path where you need a boat :)

Message 806

Date: 2002-02-19 10:19:41
In-Reply-To: 791

From lush woody island with a mountain, Loribak was decimated into a bog. :)

Funny.

Why couldn't Loribak be a kinda gigantic whiteboard sponge, connected to an external world of the element water, which flows crystal clear from below the marshes, into the oceans. That's your mystic approach.

Then again, your pseudo-realistic approach would be resembling a mouth full of water (the sea) with a tooth (that is the base rock of the island), with nasty goo, that is the swamp-bog of the island, jammed in the valleys and creches of this exemplary tooth. There could be peaks that point upwards from the tooth to be plateaus on above the water surface, and the midspace between the plateaus of dry land can be rivers formed in the marsh or even lakes. Suit yourselves. :)

Message 810

Date: 2002-02-19 11:43:20
In-Reply-To: 806

Hehheh. Sounds like something I would've said, had I had the chance to respond before Sirdar.

The point anyway is that we need not follow the real-life rules of physics or biology, since this is a fantasy game. It may be hard for people like Raeky who, half the time, are told how all this stuff works in the biological sense at school, but the rest of us do not take these things for granted.

Message 815

Date: 2002-02-19 17:41:08
In-Reply-To: 810

Agreed, though bog is fine for me. I want a bit gloomy enviroment filled with mysterious lights, dark trees, mist and pools of water. That way it would make thinks "mystic" and that's exactly what I'm after.

- Beregar

Message 853

Date: 2002-02-20 03:26:22
In-Reply-To: 810

:P

ya ya, whatever.. heh.. a river would have to have some sorce of water, possibly a big spring, or the output of a whorlpool somewhere else in the world, but it would still need a source...

Message 852

Date: 2002-02-20 03:21:58
In-Reply-To: 813

well get a move on and write something for 'em :P

Message 840

Date: 2002-02-19 21:07:56
In-Reply-To: 815

Yup, sounds good. If the mist is coded and drawed well it will certainly be a place worth visiting. ;)

And those lights.. Maybe there is strange flowers or other plants and/or animal that give light during nights.

Message 854

Date: 2002-02-20 03:28:19
In-Reply-To: 840

there are already some described that glow, insects are another glowing thing to add.. like fireflies (donno if you got those over in europe.. heh).

Message 863

Date: 2002-02-20 14:00:39
In-Reply-To: 853

Yes, that is obvious, even for me. :)

As to fireflies and the like: that was the plan. I find myself reclusive to add glowing trees, however, as I already created one. Glowing mushrooms and the like are ok though. Besides, felmur themselves glow when they fly. :)

- Beregar