Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Real world plants and animals

Message 372

Date: 2002-01-28 01:23:50

How much plants and animals should we take from the real world into majik?

Message 382

Date: 2002-01-28 10:30:02
In-Reply-To: 372

I think there's no harm in taking in stuff form
real world (we do have a human race in it? right)

Well but there is a down side if you see a pine
you have an a expetation cause you know how pine shuld
look right? but if there are plants we dont know
we might think they look ok :P

Message 383

Date: 2002-01-28 10:33:05
In-Reply-To: 372

Maybe some very common, if any. Trees like firs etc. Actually what you say if it would be more like this: Plants much alike from real world, but new names.
So one doesn't have to invent all common flora and fauna from the beginning, just give them names.

Message 388

Date: 2002-01-28 15:35:55
In-Reply-To: 383

I think that having flora from real life, and naming theese with own names would only complicate things. I do not see the reason of doing so, this because we would then indirectly say 'we invented this plant'.

Message 389

Date: 2002-01-28 16:45:58
In-Reply-To: 388

Well, what you think? Would it be better to have some of the plants and animals from real world rather than inventing them all?

And the question is, do we want to create the world that has all invented and nothing from the real.

That's because it is good to have much data been invented, but if it gets the world too exotic and to contain no familiar features it may turn out to be uncomfortable. And on the other hand if there is too much from real world.. it may make it flat. So IHMO one should choose the golden mean. Simply to put some from real world.. or, to rename them.

Yes, propably it is easier and more practical just to pick some from real world.

Message 391

Date: 2002-01-28 17:01:41
In-Reply-To: 389

Most of the world's fauna and flora will probably end up being real-world ones. There's no reason to invent an animal that very closely resembles a bear but has tiny horns on its head or a tree that is just like an apple tree except that it has green bark and is called a Scwhonk.

Message 392

Date: 2002-01-28 17:29:25
In-Reply-To: 391

True. And this brings us to the answer to first question of this thread. The most will be from real world, and that's it.

Message 399

Date: 2002-01-29 08:30:21
In-Reply-To: 391

I also would like to point out that there are many real world animals that are very exotic...nothing is stopping us from having kangaroos grazzing on the feilds of areon...plus there are all the weird shit that existed only 50,000 or more years ago like wooly mamoth, wooly rhino, giant beaver, saber tooth tiger, marsupial tiger, giant Roc (which by the way really existed in madagascar)...and tons of other crazy animals that existed...note i didn't even mention dinosours...anyway their are plenty of Real world animals that can add a sence of the exotic to our world. My suggestion is to look to those before adding a bear with horns as darshn says...also i have no problem with ppl using differnt names then RL names Im sure differnt culters will give them multiple names anyway.