Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Building

Message 2186

Date: 2002-10-08 18:39:59

Something I would like to discuss and perhaps design is the system concerning buildings and their construction. What ideas are there so far?

Let's say a player wants to build his house in some place:

a) in town
b) outside a town

What does he do? Will the model of a house be added to the landscape?

And what if some richer and powerful person decides to build a whole castle, fountain or city walls?

To locate a person, for instance, by mail, there must be some sort of address system. What will be the address of a new house, in an out of town?

And, in short, how will cities grow?

Message 2187

Date: 2002-10-08 19:05:00
In-Reply-To: 2186

Outside of a town you just build something.

A town is created by defining one building as a city hall. Other buildings nearby (a city hall has a varying sphere of influence) can then be registered as belonging to the city.

It is up to whoever is leading the city to decide the policy on what and how can be built in his town and by whom.

There will not, there must not be a hard-coded way to locate people, outside perhaps of magical methods. Not for mail delivery, not for anything, anywhere, ever (and I will not back down on this matter). If people need addresses, let them make them up. Remember, though, that in the real-life medieval times (we're talking say, year 400 through 1100) I don't think there even were such things as street addresses.

As for cities growing, and the actual process of building a structure, they're big enough subjects to warrant separate postings.

Message 2188

Date: 2002-10-08 19:11:41
In-Reply-To: 2187

Actually, I don't even remember all the stuff about those two subjects. There at least seems to be a thread called 'Cities' in the forums which has a lot of talk on it. There's a lot of good stuff in the forum threads - the problem is that nobody has so far arsed himself to weed out the important texts from all the noise and "yeah, i agree"-postings... ;)

Message 2192

Date: 2002-10-09 04:22:37

There will not, there must not be a hard-coded way to locate people, outside perhaps of magical methods. Not for mail delivery, not for anything, anywhere, ever (and I will not back down on this matter).

darshan is absolutly god damn right on this...anything else would be stupid.

Message 2205

Date: 2002-10-11 17:12:34

Clever. I also think it would be a programming hell to make a code for addresses.

But this raises an interesting point in the graphical sense: Houses should have some kind of marking or numbering, made by the players, of course. For instance, in old medieval small town in Prague, houses are identified by symbols etched over the doorway, like a golden wheel, a horse, etc.

Now, we will have a limited number of standard house models and respective textures, as I expect. Obviously we cannot include a house number or symbol in each texture, otherwise we'll die or something. So, I think that a player would have to type a command like 'look house number' and it would return 'The house number is 11'.

So, what do you think?

Message 2206

Date: 2002-10-11 20:03:04
In-Reply-To: 2205

I also think it would be a programming hell to make a code for addresses.

Actually programming it would be fairly easy...its a streight forward logical system..the problem is that it is something that didn't exist until modern times...your idea of So, I think that a player would have to type a command like 'look house number' and it would return 'The house number is 11'. is simply a bad idea and an idea that flies in the face of Darshan's post. Getting a number on a house IS and address!

Message 2584

Date: 2002-11-27 11:22:40
In-Reply-To: 2205

there should be no automatic game controled mail/message delevery system. If player A wants to leave a message for player B, either he draws it in the mud infront of his house, writes it on a peice of paper (very expensive) and puts it under his door, or hires someone to take the written message to player B.

I can see players takeing on the role of traders, who travel between different towns, and one could pay him to take mail to people in towns that he visits. I would imagine this would be similar to how things where done in medievil period of time, they didn't have a post office. :P