Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

World dimensions (FYI)

Message 217

Date: 2002-01-15 13:57:59

One pixel in the world map equals 500 meters (about 500 yards for you yanks). This means that the world is 512 kilometers across (one mile equals 1.6 kilometers). At an average walking speed of 5km/h, the world takes 102 hours to walk across. The dimensions of Nemen are 45 pixels * 40 pixels on Belemar's kartta.gif, so that makes it 22.5km * 20km; 4.5 hours to walk across.

Message 269

Date: 2002-01-18 18:37:34
In-Reply-To: 217

What could be done while sleeping? The ingame screen should change, and not let you see what is going on around you, if you hear some loud noise(getting touched, clicking 'wake up'-button, whatever) you would wake up.

In-sleep screen, what should it contain?
* blurred visions of 'truth dreams', could show you a cave, without you knowing why.
* Should you get to look in your inventory (study maps etc, but not rearange it)?

Message 268

Date: 2002-01-18 14:41:58

Well if it were less than 10-15 minutes, then it would not be believable. People spend more than that regenerating in several games already.

Message 265

Date: 2002-01-17 22:47:32

15 minutes sounds quite long to me. On the other hand, it sounds quite short time too if you think the reality.. But if someone sits down and turns his PC to NPC, is the character able to gain endurance? Obviously yes, so if you get tired waiting the wakening.. Let the character take care of itself for 15 minutes.

Or perhaps one should be able to do something else in game, while character is sleeping/resting. Nothing like Waitin' games, but more like dreaming or something. For example you sit down for a rest. What would you do in reality. Think something, look back on previous day, read or write. And if you sleep, you see dreams. What if dreams were sort of flahsbacks or similar, or parts from some other characters day. If you rewind your last few hours in dreams, there would be no problem remembering things, if one wanted to write them down - to books for example. (Obviously one needs to wake first and at least sit down if he wants to write.)

I do not know if such thing would be a real mess for coders, but.. maybye we see (or hear) some day.

Message 263

Date: 2002-01-17 18:46:03

Sleeping is a real problem, because our time scale would require players to idle for hours in order to get a good night's sleep. Therefore, we need to make the characters regenerate a little faster than usual. My suggestions are that one could either simply sit on the ground (like in most, if not all, MMORPGs at the moment), which has the advantage of your character still being able to quickly react, or one could lie down, in which case the regeneration would be quicker but your character would be a little slow in the waking process. Neither of these operations should take more than 10-15 minutes to fully regenerate your endurance, because anything beyond that would be really harmful to the gameplay.

Message 261

Date: 2002-01-17 16:31:05

There has been discussion about time and speed.. I'm not quite sure if this had been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway. How about the sleeping? How this is going to be organiced? Are we going to run the world round without tiredness? If and when we do sleep, how long naps folk needs for refreshment?

Message 260

Date: 2002-01-17 11:43:10

6-8km/h Sounds good to me.

Message 248

Date: 2002-01-16 19:27:56

By "a bit faster" I ment more like 6-8km/h.

Message 237

Date: 2002-01-16 11:48:17

Indeed. As I said earlier, making the characters walk 30km/h would look quite funny anyway. Besides, jogging and sprinting could be implemented before we have horses so the characters could move faster.

Message 228

Date: 2002-01-15 22:50:59

That is why you get a horse, or pay people to transport you.

Message 227

Date: 2002-01-15 22:09:53

I think the walking speed should be a bit faster than in real life, it's not that fun anyway.

Message 219

Date: 2002-01-15 15:22:14

If time goes three times faster, shouldn't the walking speed be three times faster as well?

Message 220

Date: 2002-01-15 15:24:58

Doesn't "time goes three times faster" mean simply that the day and night are shorter than in real life? It doesn't have to have anything to do with action speeds.

Message 221

Date: 2002-01-15 15:42:31

Yes it does not have to be connected to action speed cause the world is smaller hence planet is smaller so day-night changes faster :)

Message 222

Date: 2002-01-15 15:44:07

Nods. Day cycle is 3 times faster, walking isn't. It would be quite funny to display graphically :)

Message 223

Date: 2002-01-15 16:06:56

A bit stupid quiz. but what happens to the palyer that logs off disapares from the game right? But the game time is fixed to real time? so even if there is no palyers the time inside will keep on ticking? (logical anyways heh) Will you reapare in the same spot when you log on again? (A good way to flee, like magic)

Message 224

Date: 2002-01-15 17:14:09

Zugeb, plans are (were?) that your character would turn into an NPC (Non Player Character (Autopilot)) when you disconnect, so you better be in a safe place upon disconnection.

About timeflow, i think player actions (movement, skills, etc) should not be 3x speed, but passive things such as plant growth should.

Message 225

Date: 2002-01-15 17:17:03

origon - of course. Everything that is measured in days will be as fast as the day cycle.

Message 288

Date: 2002-01-20 03:49:14
In-Reply-To: 269

For example, yes. The 'thruth dreams' would sound good to me. One could see places and people from past (or future, if he believes) etc, but the handling of inventory may be a kind of 'too high advantage'.. One can do that while he is awake and sitting for example.

There may also be other dreams apart from the previous. One could see premonitory signs or marks from gods themselves, (I doubt he really believes them, but..) or something more fascinating.

Message 310

Date: 2002-01-22 16:49:37
In-Reply-To: 269

I lost in thought..

If player has three alternatives for resting, depending the situation.

One is to sleep, and therefore a player can't do anything else. (One could still see special dreams and hear music) Sleeping would be an ideal for recovering stamina (and health?) and almost as good for recovering mana/whatever-mind-power.

Another is to sit down and rest. He could read, write, chat, arrange inventory or identify stuff (if able?) etc. but the recovery rates would be less then.

Third option would be to ponder/meditate (I don't like the word, maybye concentrate to thoughts?). This would mean a little better recovery rate for stamina and the best rate for mana. One could reminisce maps or books or whatever, and this would enable player to actually 'read' books (the ones which he has flicked through before) but not to 'touch' them. In this mode he wouldn't be able to chat with anyone either.

This would combine some of the ideas suggested here.

Though I'm not quite sure if all characters should be allowed to 'concentrate' like this.. A meditating orc?

..but I'm back again.

Message 301

Date: 2002-01-20 22:37:08
In-Reply-To: 288

The "special dreams" should be quite rare. You don't remember your dreams too often IRL and it would seem strange to see something every time you go to sleep.

Maybe you could listen to some music while sleeping?

Message 302

Date: 2002-01-20 22:58:06
In-Reply-To: 301

I couldn't agree more on that.. special dreams should be almost unique. But the normal dreams, yes, it is just that: One does not remember (or even see) dreams every time. Should there be other things to do (see)?

But what?

Music? Maybye, if no other alternative appear. But IMHO it is quite boring anyway to look a blank screen for 15 mins, even with music. The truth is that in reality you do not really notice the 8-hour-long period of inactivity, so should it be like that in Majik too?

Message 303

Date: 2002-01-20 22:58:45
In-Reply-To: 301

When people IRL go to sleep (at least for me) it seems like at most 5 mins. So, it would give the player more a feeling of actually being inside the character's head, and would prevent people from getting bored while waiting.

Message 307

Date: 2002-01-21 16:33:33
In-Reply-To: 303

I'm actually thinking that one could see his character sleep and perhaps some snoring sound could be used here as well.

Here's a new suggestion: Maybe, while sleeping, certain skills could advance (those that the character has rigorously trained). We all know how sometimes not thinking about a problem triggers a solution for it.

Message 309

Date: 2002-01-21 21:35:54
In-Reply-To: 307

If I'm correct, a system (almost) like that is (was..) in use in a game called Daggerfall. (Horza might remember this better:) Skills updated after a long journey (when the cracter obviously had rest) or simply after sleeping a while.

But if one sees his character, does he see the surroundings? Withouth other players perhaps?

And the music might still be included as well.

Message 311

Date: 2002-01-23 11:38:07
In-Reply-To: 310

You are using terms here that are not agreed upon, such as health and mana. Anyway, I like this 3-way system.

Message 316

Date: 2002-01-23 13:38:55
In-Reply-To: 311

I know.. that's why I used words 'whatever' etc. I'm not familiar with terms yet.

Message 2606

Date: 2002-12-15 20:30:35
In-Reply-To: 316

I always assumed that when the player logged off an NPC form of himself would sleep while the player is offline. Inns would actually have people in them(As opposed to UO in which they were empty at all hours) and a campfire could be used to keep smaller monsters at bay while you were sleeping in the wilderness.