Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Making items

Message 1973

Date: 2002-09-03 19:09:40

Some of you have noted that I recently added some experimental concepts to worldbook, regarding the item creation.

As far as I'm concerned, the structure of item creation forms the basement for in-game economy and trade. It is that more diverseness we add to item creation, more challenging and interesting the economy will eventually be.

Some of you might think that we do not need some of the ideas here (and some, if many, being right) but, in my opinion, as mentioned, we should have as comprehensive system as we can reasonably build.

Meaning that one should actually dig ore from mines, and work it over to ingots and only after that into an axe.

If we have a system making difference between hammer and pickaxe, making difference in making of house than a boat, and therefore creating challenges to players, for they need different skills and different tools, we will create an economy system being lively enough to support people to gather a group of skilled people and form a society with actual interdependancy.

I am trying to create something extensive enough.

The only way to get people to think these things is to show them something slightly too radical..

Message 1977

Date: 2002-09-03 23:44:30
In-Reply-To: 1973

Some comments on your additions:

First, the RawMaterials page is kind of redundant. The minerals are already in one place, and wildlife like trees in another one. The supplies page also seems to overlap with it - this, I think, needs to be clarified more.

Second, in the Items page you categorize items into two - simple and complex ones. This is an ungrounded assumption. IMO blueprints don't have sub-blueprints. Consider your example item hatchet which is built of two items. It has definitely no sub-blueprints; the skill merely
requires the two items to be present when you build the hatchet itself. The blueprints of the items are wholly unconnected to that of the hatchet.

Message 1983

Date: 2002-09-04 18:25:28
In-Reply-To: 1977

First, the RawMaterials page is kind of redundant.

Alright, that is true. Actually one is able to use any of the raw materials mentioned in NaturalResources, metals, gems, stones etc. But I'm not sure which of the WildLife section are actually usable to item creation. In any case, you're propably right. Only,maybe some kind of uniting list should exist, since we're going to have massive numbers of animals for example, giving pelts and other materials. If they'd be in same place as a list, it might be easier to keep them in order. I'm not quite sure, give an opinion, for you know better how we are arranging the worldbook.

Second, in the Items page you categorize items into two

Yes, I thought no to do so, but there's one thing keeping me thinking that way. If we want the blade being made from some metal, the haft being made of wood and we want some difference in making them we need several skills. Ok, that can be achieved by simple blueprint, but if one person is good at smithing, and some other good at carving wood, and therefore the smith want's to make a couple of blades and sell them to the carpenter so that he could complete the job..

This means that one should be able to use the blade itself as a complete item. That is in case we want players to be able to do so.

Message 1984

Date: 2002-09-04 18:43:00
In-Reply-To: 1983

The simplest thing to do for the latter matter is to simply forget about modelling dagger handles and dagger blades. I don't think we originally even had such a concept in mind. A dagger is made just from the materials.

Message 1985

Date: 2002-09-04 18:48:16
In-Reply-To: 1984

Actually, there is no separated daggerblades and hafts, for swords and daggers are made from one piece of metal. But I still think (hope) we could have the difference between metal blade and wooden haft in case of an axe for example.