Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Mental stress

Message 151

Date: 2002-01-11 12:48:38

As our dear player characters will most definitely encounter situations where they would feel frustrated, under pressure or scared, it has been suggested that a new variable would be added to describe just this.

Mental stress hinders the quality of all actions that require concentration, much like a lowered state of endurance affects a character's physical performance. It is piled up by such things as failing a skill check (this could be so that the higher the skill, the bigger the effect, because newbies would have a hard time learning anything otherwise), encountering frightening monsters or especially harsh weather. The initial level of mental durability would be defined primarily by the stat Willpower.

Message 154

Date: 2002-01-11 14:07:32
In-Reply-To: 151

This is a real good idea and I wholly give my support to it. I think that mental stress should affect more those who are trying something complicated and delicate action. It is obvious that a smith who has spent his entire life doing horseshoes can do those even under mediocre stress (whether mental or physical) but if he really wanted to do something exceptional or something that he has not done before, like for example suddenly trying to make a sword of which he has done only a few before, then the stress would have heavier effects. Perhaps we should have confidence rating too which affects to things ;)

Beregar

Message 166

Date: 2002-01-13 01:02:04

I like the idea, but i didn't like the smith example, as that sounds to me like more self-confidence than mental stress, you can't go applying mental stress effects to such mundane tasks. in spell-casting it fits really well, though. Maybe some skills too, but only ones having a lot to do with the mind, like praying etc. IMHO blacksmithy is out of the question.

Message 193

Date: 2002-01-14 14:39:59

Mental stress affects self-confidence among other issues, and it is specifically _intended_ to affect mundane issues more than anything else. Spellcasting would be affected too, like everything that requires concentration, but it would be much more likely to show up in things such as crafting items.