Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Critique of Rahl's Sage rulebook draft

Message 1441

Date: 2002-04-18 09:48:00

Chapter "Rules and Regulations":
I don't like item 4. It should be replaced by something more general, in the vein of "A sage must never demonstrate his capabilities in public unless absolutely necessary or unavoidable". Or something.

Chapter "Gods to Sages":
This chapter shouldn't be in the text at all because it contains merely Rahl's design suggestions. The text is supposed to be the "Sages' Book of Rules and Regulations", and phrases starting with "I would expect..." and "Gods could be..." don't match that.

Chapter "The Seats":
The sages have a governing body? This is a suggestion nobody to my knowledge has dealt with yet. My own view is that sages work independently and in isolation of each other, and that only gods govern the sage population as a whole. What say you?

Message 1444

Date: 2002-04-18 17:51:19
In-Reply-To: 1441

I have conferred with Namhas on this subject and he sees the Seats as a good way to control the Sages when the gods can no longer costantly watch them or if the sages grow too many. Futhermore i have changed quite substantially with suggestions from hook and namhas so if you will look over it again. Thats what i say.

Message 1448

Date: 2002-04-19 02:31:14
In-Reply-To: 1441

Although probably not top priority, there are numerous spelling errors in the Sages Book of Rules and Regulations, which, (at least IMHO) should be corrected at some time or another since it is intended to be at least somewhat official.

I would volunteer myself for at least a preliminary error check, but I decided to consult with others first to avoid 'stepping on anyone's toes'.

-sweatshop

Message 1447

Date: 2002-04-19 02:16:57
In-Reply-To: 1444

i actaully like the idea of sage self regulation...the gods, especially lesser gods, if given governance over the sages will be tempted to use them for thier own intrests....thats what priests are for.

but the sage order should be a fairly weak one...I imagine them like the group gandalf was in. with rules that limit their use of power in the world.

I see the powers sages have shoud be contrained to two uses, self preservation (we don't want sages dropping like flies) and for observation...the only way a sage should influence the world is through retoric and teaching mortals skills.

If mortals refuse to listen to sages or use the skills tought to them in away the sage did not wish then tough. Its the players own damb fault for not being a convincing sage.

anyway thats my 2 cents for now.

hook

Message 1449

Date: 2002-04-19 04:38:42
In-Reply-To: 1448

Go ahead and spell check all you want sweatshop i can't spell (one of my many faults just like my annoying sarcasm).