Back to Majik 3D MMORPG information archive main page.
forum index

Scripting

Message 1341

Date: 2002-03-25 00:55:37

We need scripting.

Why?

It will accelerate development tremendously, nobody wants to code game logic in C++. I want to make the scripting interfaces public, so that anyone (that we approve) can
contribute to the game. After all, implementing the game logic requires by far the most effort.

The more I have been thinking about scripting, the more I have came to the same conclusion that MUDs (LPMUD etc.) are doing something right. I'd like to achieve the same kind of 'easy' approach to the code so that even non-hardcore programmers are able to contribute. Of course, since we are speaking of more complicated matters (surprisingly 3D game is more difficult to do than just text-based MUD :)), it
cannot be achieved, but it should be the ultimate goal.

What we should be able to control with scripting?

1. Behaviours -- Our world is not only about player-player interaction, we need to be able to create "intelligent" monsters, NPCs, animals, and so forth.

2. Actions -- Players are using skills, casting spells. How do they affect their environment? And how about combat?

3. Quests -- We need a way to have some larger scale interactions such as quests, city administration etc.

4. Client -- Having an ability to quickly do a custom user interface for a specific piece of game logic (e.g. a dice game) would be a major boon.

That said, a good scripting environment isn't exactly the easiest thing to do since there is much more to the system than just code. 3D models, animation, special effects etc. need to be linked to the scripting system in a way that doesn't limit designers' freedom, but would still be easy enough to use.

Message 1361

Date: 2002-03-25 20:15:50
In-Reply-To: 1341

Indeed, I agree to that. This enables us to more effectively modify the game. And it moves some of the coding part to world designers too.

I would make AI code and other (item creation related) things with pleasure. I do not want to swagger.. but ;) I have coded with several different languages, from script, to object ones, (Java, Jscript, VB, C/C++, QB, AutoItScript) and I think there is room for one script language.. ?B)

And I can try to assist the script language designers if necessary.