Re: Rendering Engine/SurRender3D

Subject: Re: Rendering Engine/SurRender3D
From: Jari Saukkonen (jsaukkon@vehna.dyndns.org)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 16:39:31 EEST

Hi,

some answers to your questions can be found from our announce, but I'll
repeat the points here.

> Why will your future releases (I think you speak here of the client)
> binary-only?
> Will the SurRender3D library get statically linked to that binary or
> delivered
> as dynamic library?
[etc]

SurRender3D is included as a set of dynamic libraries. We have considered
making a separate API for hiding SurRender3D implementation, but we
abandoned the idea because SR is not only limited to scene graph but
provides other very useful tools as well (optimized math algos, io,
etc). The other ports would need to duplicate much of the code that SR
provides but plib doesn't. Making such API would be possible but in
practice creating a good common API for two very different libraries
without sacrificing the features is definitely not an easy task.

In the future we will also be increasingly using code from Taika as it
matures, so implementing new components would always require corresponding
OSS counterparts and we find it too much work to maintain parallel code
branches.

Once the game matures in such a way that we have a stable server and
client where you actually can do something we will provide a possibility
for other people to contribute to the game by coding the server-side world
logic. You could think it as a sort of MUD setting, we make the client
and server (game driver) and let others (wizards) help building the world
(mudlib).

And finally about the game, Majik is and always will stay as a free
game. We will never charge our users anything for playing the game.

++ dazzt

---
Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi | Coral
programming, music, keyboards, web, demos,  b5 | Nah-kolor
dazzt @ Majik3D RPG     https://majik3d-legacy.org | Majik