Re: Premature concerns about spell system

Subject: Re: Premature concerns about spell system
From: Kevan Benson (kentrak@sonic.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 02:53:48 EET

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Atte Koivula wrote:

> Third, there has been a lot of discussion about magical symbols being
> "individually different" among different players at least to some
> extent, which of course means that players can't "leech" magical
> gestures and words from each other, they need to learn the idea behind
> them first, and it will take time.

So, would a good way to implement different symbols for different people be an encryption code that matches with the
server, or just more player info being kept on the server?  I just keep thinking that anything done on the client side
could possibly be hacked.  Wouldn't want anything like what happened to Quake when it was open-sourced happening.  This
game looks WAY to promising for that.  I don't know, maybe that isn't really a concern if the game is designed around
that in the first place, not open-sourced as an afterthought.

BTW, what are your plans for avoiding hacks?

-Kevan