Majik FAQ

Subject: Majik FAQ
From: Rob Nelson (ronelson@vt.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 16:27:16 EEST

Hello,

In section 2.8 of your FAQ, entitled "What is the difference between
WorldForge (former Altima) and Majik?" you seem to take some very
personal shots at WorldForge and leave me feeling like you're a
politician trying to make me believe something that isn't true. Take the
following tidbits for example, from 2.8:

On WF: "It can be played with several different kinds of clients, which
is a little bit restrictive,"

On Majik: "The project will have only one client type"

Seems like Majik is more restrictive.

On WF, from 2.8: "It can be only a "generic" game engine for people to
build their own worlds."

On Majik, from 3.3: "We wouldn't want to see people taking the source
and starting up customized servers for their friends."

Why not? Again, it seems that Majik is more restrictive and less
interested in helping the users and more of an ego boost for the server
team who gets to create their own world.

Lastly, on WF from 2.8: "Shortly: WorldForge is for Open Source fanatics
wanting to watch the development of a generic game engine, and maybe
desiring to build their own world."

And on Majik from 2.8: "Majik is for role-players who demand realism,
credibility and a well-designed world."

It seems like WorldForge is for those who wish to take their own ruleset
and create their own world where people can play. It seems like Majik is
for role-players who wish to play only by your rules.

I think me and everyone else would appreciate it if your FAQ were to
lose some of the bitterness and you took down the potshots at
WorldForge. Majik sounds promising, but if I have to play on a server
where the admins are afraid of rules other than their own, its potential
is not tapped.

Rob Nelson
ronelson@vt.edu

P.S. I'm not associated with WorldForge in any way, except that I am
interested in their end product to play myself.