Re: Majik & connection issues

Subject: Re: Majik & connection issues
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 13:02:37 EET

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, kaos wrote:

> You seemed the most appropriate member of the design team to ask this
> question,

majik@majik3d.org is the most appropriate address to ask questions, if you
don't want to subscribe majik-users.

> will connection speeds be an issue?

We try to make it playable on 28.8kbps modem. The graphics quality doesn't
really affect the bandwidth needed, in fact, I could say that Majik 3D
needs less bandwidth than the text based version Majik 3. When you move,
only two packets are sent and the graphics arent't really transmited over
the network, only small commands that tell the client what model we're
going to set where and same is with the landscape, the server just tells
the client a few numbers using which it constructs the landscape. It may,
however, in future need a slightly better connection because of the ping
times, otherwise warping will happen or the reaction will be just too
slow, and that's why we're trying to make the server distributed around
the world so everyone could have as good ping time as possible.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3D.org http://www.majik3D.org