An idea...

Subject: An idea...
From: Atte Koivula (yorkaturr@majik3d.org)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 09:20:18 EET

I came up with an idea when I was out smoking in the -10 temperature.
What
if the Gods couldn't physically enter the mortal dimension of Majik
without
being summoned by a mortal follower with some complex ritual?

I think it would nicely restrict the amount of harm the Gods could do in
the world, and you all probably know the old cliché about a crazy
fanatic
priest calling a powerful evil spirit through some dimensional gate, and
the adventurers who are sent to stop the process before it's too late...
or
else the world will be destroyed etc (some examples of this are Elric,
and
the tv-show Xena, and the movie Conan the Destroyer). Also, it would
motivate the mortals to learn religious magic as they would have a
chance
to meet their God who would reward them for such allegiance. And if the
mortal follower of another God could then banish the God to the
spiritrealm
once again, it would encourage religious wars etc. I mean like, the
Archbishop of Evil calls me upon the world, then the priests of Dazzt
find out I'm present, by noticing some great disturbance in the Force
(:P), and run around trying to catch my mortal form and cast a powerful
Dispel Evil on me, and they would also send a group of great paladins to
rid the world of my priests so that they couldn't commit such crime
again. Meanwhile, the Evil Gods would send some undead/demon army to
attack all good temples on the world so that no-one could harm me etc.
And the God would be in the world for as long as he/she would get
banished temporarily.

The Gods would still have their mundane avatars hidden in some (un)holy
places around the world, but they would be just very very tough NPCs
unless
the Gods' spirits would control them.
--
_/_