Re: magic and magical arts

Subject: Re: magic and magical arts
From: Ari Miettinen (emiettin@hytti.uku.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:24:53 EEST

>On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Ari Miettinen wrote:
>
>> Eternal Night spell would make the world dark, until someone dispels
>> that Eternal Night spell and ditto for all the other effects like that.
>> Why do we need to limit magic in such ways? If someone casts Eternal
>> Night, it is a great opportunity for goodie adventurers to dispel it.
>
>Well, where will it get power? I don't understand how it would work
>in a logical way without needing upkeep?
Lets return to those patterns...

Day-night pattern is:
  ...ooo

Eternal-night pattern is:

Now a mage changes the three 'o's into . with a spell. Who says it requires
energy to upkeep it? The act of changing that pattern requires energy, but
maintenance should not necessarily do so.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
	for they are subtle and quick to anger.